#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Marcus Wareing, Tetsuya Wakuda and Peter Gilmore a... » | Freebie Friday: Win a four-pack of Endeavour True ... » | Kungfu Ramen, Haymarket Chinatown » | Malaysian Food Festival at the Grace Hotel, Sydney » | Sizzling Fillo, Lidcombe » | Bacon and salted caramel slice for the Sydney Food... » | 2010 Vin de Champagne Awards at Becasse, Sydney » | Freebie Friday: Win a copy of the India Cookbook » | Etch, Sydney » | Crazy Wings, Chinatown Sydney »

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Le Monde, Surry Hills



Decisions.

Deciding what to eat is never an easy task in my book. I always end up loitering over the menu, scrutinising each option with considered thoughtfulness, hoping against hope to find the perfect meal.

There is much to deliberate over at Le Monde, a hip and light-filled Surry Hills cafe where patrons dine with oversized sunglasses and the barista's arm is covered in tattoos.

I love the menu boards for a start, the thin plywood scorched with the Le Monde logo and what looks like a coffee cup stain. I'm a sucker for tactile surfaces, and I can't help but run my fingers along the recessed sections of the menu board.


Flat white $3.50
House blend roasted by 5 Senses Coffee

We place our orders for coffee and sandwiches, a decision pained by temptations of confit pork ($15), anchovy linguine ($13), lamb shank pie ($13) and potato and chorizo salad($13).

I'm glad the decision-making is over, until the waitress writes down my order and asks "What type of bread would you like? Michette, sourdough or ciabatta?"

Argh. This is not a decision to be taken lightly. I like all of these! My brain whirs furiously, weighing each one up with consideration.

I opt for michette, and sigh with relief. Talk about a curveball! I sit back in my chair, ready to relax...

"Would you like it toasted or fresh?"

Panic!


Le Monde Club Sandwich $14

Does this make me a food tragic? Presumably so!

Before we've even finished our coffees, our lunch arrives. I'd ordered the Le Monde Club Sandwich - on michette bread and fresh - although I think toasted is better suited as it starts to get soggy half-way through.

The Club Sandwich is a tower of grilled chicken, bacon, rocket, vine-ripened tomato and topped with a splay of avocado slices. A slather of garlic aioli adds a rich creaminess.


Zucchini and haloumi sandwich $12

I swap half my sandwich with Mr Manchego, and after one bite, I realise he's worse off for the deal. The zucchini and haloumi sandwich is divine - a summery combination of pan-fried haloumi, sweet char-grilled zucchini strips, fresh spinach leaves and juicy vine-ripened tomatoes. A layer of Spanish onion jam is the highlight, deliciously caramelised and sticky.

Lunch at Le Monde? Best decision all day.




View Larger Map
Le Monde on Urbanspoon

Le Monde
83 Foveaux Street, Surry Hills, Sydney
Tel: +61 (02) 9211 3568

Opening hours:
Monday to Friday 6.30am-4pm
Saturday 7am-2pm

Related Grab Your Fork posts:
Surry Hills - Bird Cow Fish
Surry Hills - Bodega Tapas Bar
Surry Hills - bills
Surry Hills - Oceanic Cafe
Surry Hills - Spice I Am
Surry Hills - Sugarcane
8 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 10/17/2010 02:32:00 am


8 Comments:

  • At 10/17/2010 11:12 am, Anonymous Hannah said…

    I, too, often suffer nervous anxiety attacks in the face of delicious menu options, but I would've had no such problem this time. Anchovy linguine all the way! :D

     
  • At 10/17/2010 11:36 am, Blogger Sara @ Belly Rumbles said…

    Dining companions and many a waitperson have I sent insane with my lengthy decision making when dining out. I am hopeless!!

    The zucchini and haloumi sandwich does look divine indeed.

     
  • At 10/17/2010 10:09 pm, Anonymous Jess said…

    I love haloumi. I can imagine how its saltiness would work really with the zucchini! I don't think I could easily decide which bread to choose either.

     
  • At 10/17/2010 11:05 pm, Blogger Rita (mademoiselle délicieuse) said…

    Zucchini and haloumi are such a good combination of sweet with salty. Also helps that eating it always makes me think of spring.

     
  • At 10/17/2010 11:20 pm, Blogger Jen said…

    I've heard about Le Monde, their sandwiches look fantastic! The sweet onion jam would be delish with the saltiness of the haloumi.

     
  • At 10/18/2010 10:51 am, Blogger Anna said…

    Looks great, the zucchini and haloumi sandwich sounds particularly good.

    I can totally empathise with your decision making difficulty when it comes to dining. I take FOREVER!

     
  • At 10/18/2010 4:41 pm, Anonymous Susan said…

    Those combination of sandwiches sounds great! I love club sandwiches.

    I used to walk past that place all the time, although i think it was called something different about 6 years ago.

     
  • At 10/20/2010 12:33 am, Anonymous Sam I Am said…

    I never know what to order either. Takes me ages! Haven't been here before but I'm curious to check it out.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts