#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Kagaya, Hurstville » | IMBB#17: Green tea and almond cookies » | Flying Fish and Chips, Pyrmont » | Grab Your Diary, 28 July - 22 August » | Chopsticks in Chinatown sweet conclusion: Emperors... » | Chopsticks in Chinatown, Part IV: Thai Kee Superma... » | It's a Big Ad » | Northside Produce Market, July 2005 » | Anzac biscuits » | Chopsticks in Chinatown Part III: Lucky Thai Sweet... »

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Tokyo Mart, Northbridge

As you know, nothing excites AG more than the sight of a hitherto unexplored supermarket.

With the memory of the Tokyo Mart crew at the Good Food Show still fresh in the mind, we made a lazy detour to Northbridge after our visit to the Northside Produce Market.


Oh doesn't the entrance just scream "Irrashaimase!" (welcome) in a high-pitched female Japanese giggle?


Just inside the store, my eye is immediately caught by these greeting cards, a sight I haven't seen since my Japan trip last year.


The obento boxes are also sighed over with wistfulness


Miso soup bowls


Sushi fish (usually filled with soy sauce)! These were only 8c each, I think.


Tanuki (raccoon dog) statue.

The tanuki is actually a breed of dog native to Japan, although they are often mistaken as badgers or raccoons. Embedded in Japanese folklore, tanuki are supposed to be able to change shape and/or play tricks on people.

Masquerading as humans, tanuki are often found outside restaurants and bars, and are supposed to have the same good fortune properties as maneki nekos (beckoning cats) in shops.


Check out those faced-up shelves! Not a soy sauce bottle out of place!


Oh, this pose and outfit is just so Japanese.


Miso bases


Macaroni and cheese... Japanese-style

There are aisles and aisles of goodies here. They have wagyu beef here, a freezer full of unagi and ebi, all sorts of sushi contraptions (including those giant bamboo sushi rice coolers), and plenty of crockery, noodles, soups and sauces.

The range of biscuits, chips and sweets is a little disappointing (there's a better range at Thai Kee) but the $2.50 outlet at the back has plenty of treasures including this pink lunchbox wrap. Isn't it just gorgeous?



Tokyo Mart
Shop 27, Northbridge Plaza,
79 -113 Sailors Bay Rd, Northbridge, Sydney
Tel: 02 9958 6860

Mon-Fri: 9.00am - 5.30pm
Sat: 9.00am - 5.00pm
Sun: 10.00am - 4.00pm
14 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Anonymous on 8/02/2005 11:49:00 pm


14 Comments:

  • At 8/03/2005 12:01 am, Blogger Rachael Narins said…

    You sure would need a teeny-tiny funnel to fill those fish! LOL.

     
  • At 8/03/2005 2:46 am, Blogger eat stuff said…

    I have been wanting to go here for soooooooooo long, now I am SO there!

    great pics!

     
  • At 8/03/2005 11:51 am, Blogger boo_licious said…

    Cool pixs - I absolutely love Japanese supermarkets. I am quite lucky to get them near my place as I stay in a Japanese expat area.

    I never heard or seen the tanuki before. Usually it's the fortune cat only we see around here.

     
  • At 8/03/2005 12:06 pm, Blogger Cathy said…

    I have not yet worked up the nerve to take pictures in a grocery store. I've thought about it, but I'm such a chicken. Do you get any looks or does everyone just take it in stride? Anyway, you did get some great photos - and I love getting a look at an interesting grocery store!

     
  • At 8/03/2005 12:18 pm, Blogger deborah said…

    I love Tokyo Mart! The lunch bag looks so cute :)

    I rally miss visiting supermarkets overseas - I think I spend way too much of my travel time in them when in a new country :)

     
  • At 8/04/2005 6:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm green.. AG..!!

     
  • At 7/25/2006 5:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello, Great Blog!
    Was just wondering if you know how to get to the Tokyo Mart if you are not blessed with having a car? Thanks in advance, I really enjoy reading your blog:)
    VT

     
  • At 8/23/2006 10:36 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    To fill the fish: Remove cap,, squeeze out air, put tip in bowl of soy, relax grip on fish, put lid back on.
    Squeezing the air out will make a vacuum realeasing sucks the soy into the vacuum.
    Of to Tokyo Mart next Monday, woohoo.

     
  • At 11/17/2007 5:31 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HI HI~!!

    WOW i wud love to go to Tokyo Mart... although.. i dunno how to get there... i live all the way in Campbelltown (SOO FAR)... can u tell me how i can get there? like what where to stop on the train and where to take the bus and stop at, please? thanks in advance.. =D

    i have been to AGL Thai Kee... i love it there always get drink there like carupisu and ramune =D

    im tempted to go again ^^

     
  • At 11/18/2007 11:13 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Shin - I've never gone there by public transport however if you check the 131 500 website, it will tell you exactly which public transport to take from Campbelltown. I've had a quick look at it seems the best way is a train to Wynyard, and then a bus to Neutral Bay. Happy shopping!

     
  • At 3/09/2009 5:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The way to go if you want to avoid buses is to walk from Artarmon station - but be warned it is a decent walk. Took me about 30-40 mins from the station to the plaza. I was a little disappointed with the store - was hoping for more hardware than was available (particularly a rectangular frying pan for tamago yaki!) and was expecting something bigger. I think that you can almost get all the stuff at the chinatown IGA - but the freezer at Tokyo mart made up for it. I bought some wagyu which was perfect for some niku jaga and some products for oden. My next challenge - and perhaps you can guide me here Helen, is to find a supplier of a wide range of shochu. I might email you about that...

     
  • At 3/09/2009 9:20 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Lucas - Last time we were there I was sure they had tamago pans for sale, but good on you for doing the walk. If there's one thing I will walk for it's food and kitchenware :)

    As for shochu, I can't say I look out for it so I'm not sure where you'd find it. Perhaps you could try liquor shops in Chinatown or areas with Japanese ex-pats?

     
  • At 6/13/2009 5:32 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel very lucky! I only have to walk up the hill from the old Northbridge and I'm there! I bought some authentic okonomiyaki sauce, pork belly, and kewpie mayonnaise last time I was there. Will be back again soon to check if they sell those takoyaki hotplates! Fingers crossed...

     
  • At 6/14/2009 9:49 pm, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Darikuri - Lucky indeed! I love browsing Japanese grocery stores - so much fun!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts