#navbar-iframe { display: none; }

« Home | Fergus Henderson and a nose-to-tail barbecue - Syd... » | Yum Cha at The Dynasty, Belmore » | Masterchef's Matt Preston, a fleischmeister and a ... » | Biggest mooncake in Australia » | Malaysia Festival 2009, Darling Habour » | Moon festival, Cabramatta » | Fix St James, Sydney » | Chat Thai, Sydney (and an interview on the Times O... » | Less than two days to enter the Wellington prize p... » | North Bondi Italian Food, Sydney »

Sunday, October 04, 2009

Carriageworks Farmers' Market


Celeriac

The best thing about getting up early on a Saturday morning is being rewarded with so much extra time to play with.

This is how, after a morning spent at the SIFF Good Living Growers' Market with Fergus Henderson, a pig on a spit and 12 Sydney chefs serving up nose-to-tail inspired dishes, Minh and I still have time to stop by the Carriageworks Farmers' Market on our way home.

The huge cavernous shed at Eveleigh provides plenty of shelter for market-goers. The monthly market at Pyrmont coincides with a slight drop in stalls at Eveleigh but there's still plenty to see, sample and yes, of course, photograph...


Eveleigh Market crowd


Rainbow chard


Russian sausage from Eumundi Smokehouse


Smoked ribs from Eumundi Smokehouse


Quiche from Bird Cow Fish


Pumpkin bread from La Tartine


Sesame cobb from La Tartine


Passionfruit


Beetroot


Blueberry bagels


Beef cookies

Beef cookies, I hear the carnivores say?


Big cookies for dogs

Yes, who says the canine in your life doesn't appreciate a gourmet treat every now and then?


Dog biscuit menu

Is it wrong that part of me thinks these might make tasty treats for their masters as well?


Flowers


Gerberas


Butter crossiant, almond crossiant and pain aux chocolate


Mushroom crepe


Batlow apples


Apple pie from Batlow Apples


Chestnut mushrooms


Wrapping up sunflowers





View Larger Map

Carriageworks Farmers' Market
Every Saturday 8am-1pm

243 Wilson Street, Darlington
near the corner of Codrington Street
About a seven-minute walk from Redfern train station

Related GrabYourFork posts:Carriageworks Farmers' Market (Mar09)
Carriageworks Christmas Market (Dec08)
11 comments - Add some comment love

posted by Helen (Grab Your Fork) on 10/04/2009 11:53:00 pm


11 Comments:

  • At 10/05/2009 12:44 am, Anonymous Belle@OohLook said…

    Eveleigh Markets are great, aren't they (I got my cat grass there). It's a bit of a dodgy walk from Redfern Station, though! You take so many fantastic photos, too. I'm a bit put off by stallholders who look like they disapprove of cameras.

     
  • At 10/05/2009 1:29 am, Blogger Y said…

    Are the beef cookies strictly for dogs, because I want a beef cookie :/

     
  • At 10/05/2009 2:57 pm, Blogger A cupcake or two said…

    I've heard a lot about Eveleigh Markets. I love the fact that they sell treats for dogs. The Apple Pies from Batlow look great too.

     
  • At 10/05/2009 3:03 pm, Anonymous Howard said…

    I still need to get my act together and attend one of these. Do they still have the pig on a spit at the market ? I wouldn't mind a beef cookie either!

     
  • At 10/05/2009 3:33 pm, Anonymous Simon said…

    Oh cool. BirdCowFish are still there. I was wondering whether the one time I've been whether it was just a special one off or they have a regular stall.

    Love some of the stalls there, especially the Biscuit Tree, Eumundi and the Mushroom stall.

     
  • At 10/05/2009 4:07 pm, Anonymous Fiona said…

    Went there last weekend end and bought spinach and fetta bread (only $6 for a whole loaf!) and it was amazing!! Also loved the fresh broadbeans!

    Will be back to try Bird Cow Fish produce and the mushroom crepes!

     
  • At 10/06/2009 12:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hee hee the beef cookies don't have a "(for dogs)" on the sign so I would so buy them! Mm craving some apple pie now..

     
  • At 10/06/2009 12:21 am, Anonymous Grace said…

    haha blueberry bagels!
    look so poisonous but taste so good

     
  • At 10/06/2009 12:42 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Belle - I've done the walk from Redfern Sation a couple of times and I didn't find it too bad. I actually meant to say that apart from one stallholder who refused photos, everyone was really accommodating, both at Pyrmont and at Eveleigh. In fact the lovely lady at Eumundi even asked "do you want me to prop up the ribs so you can get a better photo?". It was so unexpected and lovely!

    Hi Y - lol. Me too. They sound good.

    Hi A Cupcake or Two - Eveleigh is great because it's on weekly and held under cover. The dog treats sound so tasty I think I'd be tempted to try one myself! And I always love the Batlow stand - their apples are always so shiny and tempting.

    Hi Howard - No the pig on the spit was for Christmas only. Do you think they would've been there and I wouldn't have taken photos? lol. Mmm.... beef cookie... I think there's a niche market there if anyone is listening!

    Hi Simon - Yup Bird Cow Fish have a regular stall. Biscuit Tree weren't there that day (at Mosman Market which ended up getting rained out anyway) but yes, the ones you mention are all good.

    Hi Fiona - Wow, that spinach and fetta bread sounds delicious (and cheap too!). It's great that the markets are on every week.

    Hi FFichiban - Ha, I'd presume they're ok for human consumption but expect they'd be quite oaty with not much sugar. The Batlow apple pies always win me over - love the fork marks and the pretty flower garnish.

    Hi Grace - I adore blueberry bagels. My favourite breakfast when fresh from the bakery as they're so soft and chewy with the crunchy sugar crystals on top.

     
  • At 10/06/2009 4:53 pm, Anonymous Phuoc said…

    Oh I visited Eveleigh Markets for the first time last Saturday! It's fantastic! Although I thought it would of been a little bigger.. I was a bit hesitant with taking pictures as well so it had to take it pretty quickly.

    I bought choc chilli peanut fudge and salted caramel mmm...

     
  • At 10/07/2009 1:18 am, Blogger Helen (Grab Your Fork) said…

    Hi Phuoc - Sounds like you got yourself a great little haul at the markets! The markets are so much fun aren't they? A little bit of touristing as well as shopping all in the one outing :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home


      << Read Older Posts       |       >> Read Newer Posts